SilentComedians.com Forum Index SilentComedians.com
all silent, all the time...

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs    My BlogWeblogs News

Laughsmith's Our Gang DVD set

View previous topic :: View next topic  
josemas

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 8:39 am    Post subject: Laughsmith's Our Gang DVD set Reply with quote

I was just looking over mark Brumfiel's Little Rascals site

http://thelittlerascals.net/

and noticed he had he had a picture of the art for Laughsmith's upcoming DVD collection-

http://www.thelittlerascals.net/main_menu.html

There's some great info on the work being done to put together the set and also a listing of some of the probable contents for the set. (Can you confirm Paul?)

http://www.thelittlerascals.net/laughsmith_DVD_news.html

Fire Fighters
Young Sherlocks
Saturday Morning
The Cobbler
The Champeen!
A Pleasant Journey
Fast Company
July Days
No Noise
The Buccaneers
Seein' Things
The Sun Down Limited
Every Man For Himself
Dog Days
Official Officers
Boys Will Be Joys
One Wild Ride
Good Cheer
Buried Treasure
Monkey Business
Thundering Fleas
The Fourth Alarm!
War Feathers
Olympic Games
Old Gray Hoss
Fast Freight
Buster's Picnic (Buster Brown)
Buster And The Tutor (Buster Brown)
Funny Face (Big Boy)
The Klynick (Hey Fellas)
Mickey's Eleven (Mickey McGuire)
No Fare (series unknown)

I'm pretty sure that No Fare is a Big Boy comedy from 1928 (with Wallace Lupino in a supporting role).

Looking forward to this one.

Joe Moore
televistainc

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: Laughsmith's Our Gang DVD set Reply with quote

josemas wrote:

I'm pretty sure that No Fare is a Big Boy comedy from 1928 (with Wallace Lupino in a supporting role).

Looking forward to this one.

Joe Moore

There is definitely a Big Boy comedy called No Fare that has Wallace Lupino, Eva Thatcher, Jackie Levine, Lila Leslie and Malcolm Sebastian as Big Boy in it. We own a negative of this film. This sounds like a fabulous set that Laughsmith will be putting out. I did notice that C-W films may be supplying Laughsmith with some titles missing from their list most particularly "Your Own Back Yard." To quote thelittlerascals.net: "Your Own Back Yard was a Hal Roach favorite that went entirely missing for years until most of reel two was turned in to the Library of Congress in 1979. C-W Films has a copy of reel one and the beginning of reel two that was nowhere to be found, and then purchased a 35mm safety print of reel two from the Library of Congress (with original text titles) to combine and restore the film. Robert Demoss of OurGangFollies (Yahoo Group) provided them a 16mm home movie footage of Your Own Back Yard with the original text titles and two seconds to bridge the gap between C-W Films' print and the Library of Congress' print." I just wanted everyone on the forum to know our collection has a negative of "Your Own Back Yard" in it from the Charles Tarbox library that has not yet been restored by us but which may be a good candidate for full HD restoration.
zootmoney

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 12:52 pm    Post subject: When? Reply with quote

This is #1 on my wantlist, but it seems like it will never be released. I am so frustrated by checking out the site, only to see "Please visit us again soon for details!" I am pretty sure that message has been there for at least a year.
thatbobguy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My understanding is that the contents of the package has been revised since that list was put together. Just for the record, my contribution to "Your Own Back Yard" was verrrrry minimal - just a tiny bit of footage I lent to Robin Cook to link the two main parts.

Robert Demoss
Laughsmith

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This set contains some of the very best surviving prints, restored and remastered in HD with breathtaking results, and footage that is unavailable anywhere else. Many archives and generous individuals have contributed to help make this the definitive silent Our Gang collection.

(Yes, Joe, there is also an additional disc featuring a large selection of rare imitator comedies.)

The release has been delayed because of a series of disputes with our former distributor. When these issues have been resolved we will report the details here.

We truly appreciate everyone's continued patience.
josemas

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughsmith wrote:
(Yes, Joe, there is also an additional disc featuring a large selection of rare imitator comedies.)

Oh, I knew that Paul. I was just trying to ID the NO FARE title which they had listed as "series unknown".

Anyway good luck on untangling yourself from Mackinac.

Joe Moore
Chubby

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will this Laughsmith set ever be released? Rolling Eyes Their website says that it is "in production" & "please visit us again soon for more details". But that information hasn't changed for a LONG TIME!

I wonder if they plan to include some of the recent Our Gang film discoveries, such as: "Fair & Muddy", "Spanking Age", "Smile Wins", "The Old Wallop", "Our Gang", etc... I hope so Smile
josemas

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chubby wrote:
Will this Laughsmith set ever be released? Rolling Eyes Their website says that it is "in production" & "please visit us again soon for more details". But that information hasn't changed for a LONG TIME!

I wonder if they plan to include some of the recent Our Gang film discoveries, such as: "Fair & Muddy", "Spanking Age", "Smile Wins", "The Old Wallop", "Our Gang", etc... I hope so Smile

I only recently heard about FAIR AND MUDDY being extant myself when I read the following post by Robin on the Our Gang yahoo group.

"Hello everyone, I have been waiting for this day to come. It is
exactly 80 years ago today that "Fair And Muddy" was first released
and I would like to announce that this film is known to exist! The
picture quality isn't perfect but it is virtually complete. At this
moment in time, I have no idea when it will be available on DVD, etc.
Any of you are invited to view it before then but you would have to
come to England."

Always great to hear about another "lost" Roach comedy turning up especially one of those late MGM silents.

Chubby, the trouble with putting most of the titles that you mentioned is that (with the exception of OUR GANG) they are are still under copyright which means that RHI has the rights to them so it would entail licencing and would run the price of putting the set together up.
I know that Paul would love to get this set out to us all as soon as he can but until he gets legally disentangled from his former distributor his hands are somewhat tied in the matter.
When that day does come though I'm sure we'll all agree that the set was worth the wait.

Joe Moore
slapshoe

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't wait for the Our Gang DVD set to be released, either. But I'll bet Paul G is a thousand times more frustrated than anyone else who is part of this forum that it hasn't hit the streets. All good things take time.

Jim K
WaverBoy

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This and Michael Agee's possibly never-coming L&H silents set are my most-wanted releases. Paul, I hope all is going to be well with the distributor issues, and Michael, if you're out there, SPEAK TO US!!!
Arthur Jaz

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had no idea there were so many Our Gang silents in existence. (I never thought to check You Tube!)

The silents have a charm all their own. They're almost a completely different series to the sound shorts. I have a low-budget DVD with some of their silents on it, and I was pleasantly surprised to see that one of them (Mary Queen of Tots) has a sweet elegance to it that one would not expect in Our Gang.
Turpinutz

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul and partners, hope I'm not pushing it, but, I'd love to see the complete two-reel version of Mack Sennett's
"The Hollywood Kid" included in this collection. Come to think of it, Charley Chase in "Fraidy Cat" is a good one too,
as, aren't the Gang in this as a bunch of bullies to Charley? (been years since I saw it!).

I'm also looking forward to this collection, Paul!

SteveR
Holmes

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just cruising around Amazon and saw that "The Little Rascals: The Complete Collection" is on pre-order, and will be available October 28... how exciting! Now we wait for the Our Gang collection.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SilentComedians.com Forum Index -> Our Gang All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: